Life is Pain

Life is Pain
but they say it can't rain all the time

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day 3 of diet.

Here we are.. day 3. Starting to feel a little bit better.. not so woozy anymore but darn hungry. it was very difficult to walk the isles at Whole Foods with all the yummy things that are available and on display. I got me a small cup of hot organic split pea soup and oh it was sooooo goood. Since it was a small portion (at least historically for me), I ate it very slowly and indulged in all the subtleties of the flavors. Split pea soap was the best that they had for me right now (least carbs in any form).

I avoided, as much as possibly, to buy anything with even pure cane sugar in it, or even dextrose (maltodextrin - a corn or potato derived long-chain carbohydrate).

Just for shits and giggles here's what I bought today:

"Pure" 's Blond Macaroons - organic coconut "cookies" with no sugar or carbs added for next week
"Pure" 's Grawnola - sort of granola chunks, also for later next week.
1 packet of Miso soup with seaweed - the only brand I found with no dextrose added.
2 cans of split pea soap with organic german mustard
Cans of dolphin-friendly wild caught albacore tuna and red Alaskan sammon and tongol tuna
Some Italian dressing for the spinach I got yesterday from Sam's
A bag of bing cherries
small box of grape tomatoes
4 kiwi
4 red apples
bunch of bananas - mainly to mix with the whole milk Bulgarian acidophilus and maybe with shakes.
Red small grapes - I'm having some right now.. little bombs of flavor; so powerful
A cantaloupe melon
small box of blueberries to mix with the shake
2 small jars of egg whites to go with the soy chorizo and soy/rice cheeses I got for breakfast starting maybe Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.
3 bottles of Kombucha; a Chinese cultured tea
1 bottle of Pomegranate juice.

That's it. My goal is and has been to avoid all carbs not derived from the veggies or fruit I eat or have eaten. The shakes provide with more than adequate amount of long-chained carbs for energy. It is merely a matter of breaking the habit and addiction for processed white sugar and other forms of short-chained carbs. I am constantly hungry but I am eating and eating a lot. It is just my body trying to trick me into feeding it what it's used to. It has to find an alternative source for energy and stop storing fat.

On Friday night my blood pressure shot up through the roof as my body was realizing the shock of lacking sugar. My face was as red as a Yule ornament and there was this uncomfortable pressure behind my eyes and in my sinal cavities. Pretty common occurrence, actually, and not something to worry too much about.

I did a 5-hour glucose test at a hospital a year and a half ago, when I was having bad bouts of low blood sugar induced by my poor diet. This, of course, is one of the early indicators and signs of diabetes and a flash of light to change your diet. I did fine for a while but dropped it like a bad habit. Well anyway you go to the hospital in the morning having not eaten or drunk since the previous night. You drink a glucose mix and they take your blood and a urine test every 30 minutes; normally only for 3 hours but I wanted to do 6 from a book I had read about low-glucose, and they settled on a 5-hour one. Well by around the 4th hour, having already gone through shakes, shivers, cold sweat, and tremors and what ever else, my blood pressure started to shoot up.. I actually had to stay an extra hour after we stopped taking blood and urine because it wouldn't go down. It finally started dropping around the 6th hour to the point where they released me. I wasn't very worried since I knew what it was all about, as was my physician when I saw him the following day, but ER docs wanna pump drugs into you to bring the pressure down. I was wise to decline them and to just wait for the pressure to go down.

Ta.

No comments: