Life is Pain

Life is Pain
but they say it can't rain all the time

Friday, March 14, 2008

DC Tango Marathon Day 1, Thursday 13th

Been a while again...

Tonight was the (un-)official opening night of the annual DC Tango Marathon. It was at the Eastern Market in SE DC, not far from the Capitol. There was a lot of strange energy in the air this night and I was not the only one to notice it. I think it had something to do with people not quite knowing their places yet, and so there wasn't an established "clique" crowd yet. I'm sure that by the end of the first alternative milonga tomorrow, clear and definite classes will have borne out of the masses; you'll have your A and B class citizens.

The floor at the Eastern Market was it's typical late fall/winter/early spring quality; it was covered in red dust that made the floor very slippery. But by 12:30am the dust had been absorbed into peoples shoes and it even began to shine in places and got to be super sticky - kind of like in the humidity of the summertime.
Another downfall was the lack of bathrooms. In fact, I believe it to be illegal to put on a public event for which you are charging a covercharge, and then not provide lavatories for all.

I wasn't feeling very energetic nor inspired and ended up sitting quite a few sets down. The clear lack of cabeceo also throws me on a loop. We'll see how this weekend progresses, etc.

Ciao

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Ha! I know exactly what you mean! Last night was a little odd. I did a lot of sitting, and some dancing, but it was clear that people were sussing out who was who on the tango ladder. I was joking with my friend and host that it was a typical opening night to a festival, everyone dancing with people that they know, and watching those that they don't. Could not help but laugh at that. And that floor! It was fine until around midnight when the concrete became glue.
Today should be fun though. Hope you have a good time this weekend!